- 2 cups onion, chopped
- 1 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder or 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro or oregano (optional)
- 5 cups water
- 5 teaspoons bouillon (chicken, beef, or vegetable)
1. In a large saucepan or skillet, sauté the onion, bell peppers and garlic in oil until tender, about 3 minutes.
2. Add lentils, spices, water and bouillon. Stir. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until the lentils are as soft as you like. Serve hot.
Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.